Two weeks from today I will be arriving in TOKYO!!! For the longest time, it seemed so far way...now it is so close! I'll be meeting my sister from Okinawa and my niece from San Diego for a girls week at the largest quilt show in the world. This is our second and probably our last trip for awhile. Here's a great link to information and wonderful quilt pictures: http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/quilt/
Just in case you are going, here are our tricks for avoiding the crowds:
- Go during the week and arrive around 1pm. It will be busy for several hours, but by 3pm the crowds disappear!! By 4pm you can photograph pictures without waiting for others to move on! Wait until almost closing time to visit the vendors to avoid the mobs.
- Get the show map and conquer an area at a time...otherwise you wander around and miss really cool quilts. Ask for the English version.
- Plan on at least 2 and preferably 3 afternoons at the show.
- Buy tickets ahead of time at the Family Marts, avoid the lines and they are cheaper ahead of time.
- Be sure to take an afternoon coffee or tea break in the little cafe. The maroon cake is unique. I understand it is water chestnut. One surprise was that there are no refills on coffee.
- The lockers are always full, so plan on carrying what ever you buy or bring in...another reason for shopping towards the end of the day.
- Most everyone comes by the train. There are good places for dinner in the plaza near by. Our favorites are the Italian Restaurant, Bubba Gumps. The best lunch stop on the way in is Cafe Danmark...just like being in Denmark! Starbucks is near by too...
- Would love to connect with other bloggers if you are there!